Friday 31 October 2008

My Aussie Debut

Well, The Urge finally caught up with me, and I decided that I had to get frocked up and have some kind of outing or I'd go spare. Since we arrived in New South Wales a couple of weeks ago I've not been shy about trying things on in shops whilst in bloke mode, (and buying some of them as well), but it's not the same is it?

The downside is, of course, that it's too bloody hot for trannying a lot of the time. So I bided my time until we had a relatively cool, overcast day and then went for it.

In fact it wasn't an exciting outing - I just went shopping in the local mall (Shellharbour Stockland) - but it was my first time in not only a new area, but a new country. I have no reason to assume that urban Australia gives a damn about the odd tranny wandering around, so I wasn't too worried, but I will admit to a few butterflies as I parked up and started to get out of the car.

For those that like to know these things I wore some leg-flattering cord trousers from Next which I bought in Staines the day before I flew out here, my New look dolly shoes and a lovely loose flowing tunic top in cream with lace trim I picked up in a vintage/esoteric clothes shop in Wollongong earlier this week. Here's the ensemble.

I can report the best thing one can always report after an outing into the Real World - nothing happened. A few people did a double take, anyone who stared got my winning smile and most people didn't notice me or ignored me. Just what I'd expect. Shop assistants were, on the whole, polite and helpful and seemingly unfazed by a crossdressing Pom spending money like it was going out of fashion. The only place where I noticed a reaction (definate sniggers as I left) was the local games shop which I'd been into to see if they had a release date for the new Guitar Hero game for the DS. Perhaps it was my taste in games they were laughing at?

I did every clothes shop I could find in the mall, and tried on things in several of them. In none of them did I have any problems doing so. Looking confident always pays off I guess.

Anyway, I came away with a new iPod FM thingy for the car, a new bra and a lovely 50s style floral dress which I now need an excuse to wear.

Next time I go shopping it's going to be Wollongong city centre - there are heaps of lovely clothes shops there just waiting to be explored. And I shall have to work on the next outing as well; there's a nice Thai restaurant just down the road from where we're living which could be a possible venue.

3 comments:

Pandora Caitiff said...

Bravo! Isn't it better when you're not constantly worrying about meeting someone you know? ;)

Given the usual clientèle of GAME (clueless parents, and socially awkward boys) it probably was your gaming choice.

Either they were thinking "See! Girls don't play proper games, just silly DS toys" or "Stupid Pom, everyone knows Aussie release dates are months behind the rest of the world!"

Rachel said...

"Isn't it better when you're not constantly worrying about meeting someone you know?"

Not a worry here, no.

Actually we're considering being a lot more open about Rachel over here. After all, the people that know us here are all relatives who already know. And to everyone else we're strangers, so people don't have any expectations about us. once again it's really down to how the children want it handled.

Suffice to say that when I went out and returned home yesterday I didn't worry about the neighboiurs seeing me, which was always a worry when we lived in Staines.

sophie h said...

Yay! Im glad youre settling in and having a good time Rachel.
Look forward to further installments.